After School Program
Youth services were a cornerstone in the development of the Martin Luther King Center. Youth services have been refined and developed over the last thirty-two years to continue to meet the needs of this population.The present day Youth Services Department provides the following services to youth aged 6-14:
- Homework Assistance – Daily from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Individualized Tutoring Instruction – Daily from 5:00 to 7:00p.m.
- Enriched Activities – as scheduled:
- Speaker Series
- Black History Celebration Program
- Field Trips
- Reading Program
- Recreation Activities – As scheduled 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Prevention Activities
- Student Mentoring Program
Hours of Operation are Monday through Friday from 2:30pm – 7:00pm. To register your child for this program, download our packet and turn in into Fatima Jenkins, Youth Department Manager before your child begins.
Our Youth Department provides programs to youth that encourages a healthy lifestyle and address issues children face today. These programs help prevent unhealthy and dangerous addictions at an early age as part of the Youth Department curriculum. The following programs are offered on a daily basis:
- In My House – Overall anti-drug and alcohol abuse
- Wanna Bet? – Anti-gambling program
- Girl Power – Girl Self Esteem
- All Stars – Self Esteem program
- Too Good For Drugs- Anti Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco program
- ATOD Alternative Recreation
Become a Volunteer
Volunteers are a crucial part of making our Youth Deparment a success. As a volunteer, you will assist children with their homework and tutor as needed. Children are encouraged to read additional materials and will have a recreational component in the evenings after dinner. Volunteer hours are available Monday through Friday from 3:00pm - 7:00pm.
Please contact our Youth Department Manager, Fatima Jenkins to schedule volunteer opportunities at 814-459-2761 x225 or fill out the form below.
Youth Basketball Team
In Fall 2014, the MLK Center’s Youth Department joined the Independent Basketball League in Erie. The team finished the season with a 7-1 record.
For more information, contact Coach Jarrell Connor at 814-459-2761.
Thank you to Michael Hooks and MMLB for sponsoring the 2015 Runner-up Championship team.
Youth Services Program
The Martin Luther King Center’s Program provides recreational and educational programs focusing on kids aged 6 to 14.
- Homework Assistance – Daily from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Participation Incentives
- Basketball league participation
- Evidence based drug and alcohol prevention curriculum:
- Too Good for Drugs
- We Know BETter
- Alternative Activities
- For more information on the Youth Services Program contact Fatima Jenkins – 459-2761 x 241
Become a Volunteer
The MLK Center
News & Upcoming Events
Don't forget to take a look at our dance classes! We offer classes in many different styles of dance with the Erie Dance theater. If you're interested in signing up, visit this page.
We're proud to say that we've launched a new website! Thanks so much for being here to be part of this community - we appreciate all of you!